Sunday, October 10, 2010

Book plan, meal plan

Yesterday I'm sure I would have felt really depressed, except that it was the weekend and Sweetie was home with me all day. I was so lethargic. If it had been a weekday I would have forced myself to try and be productive, and been miserable. Or, I would have gone to bed for the day at 10 am, and felt guilty. Or who knows, maybe I would have felt great and had a wonderful day.

We went out to a Teriaki restaurant for supper. I had a big bowl of clear broth with steamed mixed veggies, chicken and clear rice noodles. It was delicious, and I figured it was probably just about what my food plan called for. I also had a glass of white wine, which didn't seem like too much of a splurge. I calculated it at 100 calories, and counted it as a carb. So, I felt like I was on track.

But this morning, I'm back up to 171...from 169.5 that I weighed after my jog yesterday. I know to expect some fluctuations up and down, but it's disheartening. I hope it goes back down today. Though, I guess I'm still moving forward according to my original plan. I'm not supposed to hit 169 for another week. I was losing weight faster than my program predicted. I guess it's all averaging out.

When I hit 164 I lose 100 calories from my daily allotment. I wonder if I will notice that much?

I've been thinking about what I've been writing. Most of it, if not all of it, is just a bunch of self-indulgent pap.

What would I need to focus on writing about if this was really going to be a book worth reading?

Well, I probably would want to talk some about the emotional journey, and for that the random musings will come in handy.

But, more topically, I would want to address each of the "compliance" points I give myself.

Why eat food.
Why eat not too much.
Why eat mostly plants, and a certain balance of calories.
Why put on exercise clothes?
Why run or cardio?
Why yoga?
Why herbal tea?
Why water with lemon?
Why plain water?
Why get up early?
Why go to bed early?
Why get enough sleep?
Why floss teeth?
Why brush after every meal?
Why wear sunblock and wash it off?

I think each of those topics could make a good short chapter, if I found a good story to put into it, and explained my thinking about why it is good for a person's health and might make a person happier.

But first, I would need to discuss the whole problem of happiness:

Desire is not the sign post which leads to the path of happiness.

Dali Lama says expand capacity.

Constitution protects our right to pursue it.

And then, the problem of health.

What constitutes good health?

Are there degrees of health, or only degrees of distance from it?

What is the point of being healthy? (healthier?)

Explaining the idea and process behind this experiment.

Also, explaining the reasoning and formula behind the happiness scores.

And finally, some sample meals.

Oh, and some discussion of will-power vs. other ways of getting things to happen.

Here's what I've been eating the last few days:

Breakfast:

Low fat cottage cheese served with cantaloupe.
Cheddar cheese sliced atop rice cakes

Lunch:
Sausage in tomato sauce with millet served over salad greens
Raw sliced jicama and red peppers

Supper:
Blended cauliflower soup with chunky potatoes seasoned with olive oil and spices, topped with crumbled bacon.

Snack:
more soup.

Breakfast:
Fat-free plain yogurt topped with almonds.
Smashed banana spread on rice cakes, sprinkled with cinnamon, ginger and cayenne

Lunch:
Saucy meatballs made with ground turkey, egg, oats and spices in a broth of tomato paste, olive oil and garlic.
Salad greens with mixed raw veggies, lemon and salt.

Supper:
Tomato sauces from a jar, mixed with fake ground meat onions and frozen spinach, served over whole wheat linguini, sprinkled with nutritional yeast.
Steamed broccoli

Snack:
Grapefruit

Breakfast:
2 fried eggs cooked in a pat of butter
small bowl of oatmeal with dollop of yogurt, cinnamon and ginger
fresh grapes

Lunch:
Butternut nut squash soup with canned tuna and barley, salt and pepper.
Green salad with raspberry dressing

Supper:
Sliced smoked turkey and fat free feta cheese sauteed with zuchini, tomatoes and onions, served over a bed of brown rice.

Snack:
Cantaloupe

No comments:

Post a Comment