Sunday, September 19, 2010

Charting Progress

When I started this project a week ago I thought I'd be filling out a whole page of data every day. But, very quickly I started to narrow the report down to just the information that seemed to be the most relevant, and the most understandable.

I got rid of any information that tried to measure my actual state of health. Instead, I am only calculating how well I adhere to the health program I devised on day one. I figure I can only test one hypothesis at a time. The one I'm testing now is: does following this particular routine of "healthy" behaviors affect my daily happiness? I cannot also be following: does this particular routine of "healthy" behaviors affect my daily health.

So, I stopped measuring weight, personal perception of health, physical comfort, and appearance. They weren't very useful measurements anyway, and there wasn't any way to combine them into a coherent daily score. I am, however, still listing symptoms if they are significant. For example, on Day 5, my right foot was so swollen from a bee sting I'd gotten while jogging the previous morning, that I was unable to walk. It is interesting and predictable that Day 5 was also the day with my lowest compliance rating, and my lowest happiness score.

The primary comparison I am making each day is between my Happiness Mean Score and my Compliance Rating.

I find my Happiness Mean Score by averaging the four measurements I take each day (waking, bedtime, day's high, and lowpoint) and multiplying it by 10.

I find my Compliance Rating by dividing the sum of all my possible point in the 5 health categories (Food, Exercise, Water, Sleep and Hygeine) by 15 and multiplying by 100.

I can tell something about the relationship between Happiness and Health (y behavior) by just looking at the numbers.

Baseline 50.00:10.00
Day 2 61.25:96.00
Day 3 58.75:86.66
Day 4 53.75:96.00
Day 5 50.00:66.00
Day 6 65.00:90.00
Day 7 70.00:96.00

But to really see what's going on, I have to make a chart.

I made this one at a free website called Chart Tool.

http://www.onlinecharttool.com/graph.php


It was super easy to make, and I can create a profile and save my charts. It's vital to be able to save the chart, so I can go in and add data as the experiment progresses.

But, the maximum number of data groups I can track is four. This is fine for just looking at the Mean and the Total. But, I'd really like to make a chart that had all the details one it including: waking happiness, sleep score, daily happiness high, food compliance, etc.

If I made a chart with all the details I want to look at, that would be 10 data groups.

So, this site is insufficient for my needs. Also, the end product looks a little fuzzy, doesn't it?

This next chart is MUCH crisper looking.

I made this one at a site called ChartGO.

http://www.chartgo.com/resetall.do?from=generaljsp


ChartGo.com

The first problem with this one was that it was difficult to use. But, after some experimenting I was able to figure it out.

The second problem is that, while I seem to be able to go back into the chart and make changes (I'll have to wait and find out if the chart is still there to be edited tomorrow) the link that enables me to share the chart on this blog is the sort that needs to be updated in some special way, or the blog keeps showing the old one. I remember having this problem with posting photos on my old blog. A friend told me how to fix it but I don't remember how. If I can figure it out, I will definitely be using this site.

Well, I'd like to write some more this morning. I've spent most of my time playing with charts instead of writing. But, it's time to go running. If I want to get a good compliance score today I'd better put my shoes on and go. According to the data above there is a high probability I'll be happy if I do.



No comments:

Post a Comment