Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day One: Fast

Okay. Here I am. It's 6:30 in the morning on my first day of "getting healthier." I'd better make a plan on how to do it.

Of course, there's a lot of conflicting advice about how to be healthy. I'm just going to sort through it the best I can. I think the four elements I listed in my previous post seem like a good place to start.

1. Eat Right
2. Exercise
3. Drink Water
4. Sleep

I'm going to add a few more details.

First, because I have a history of skin maladies, some advice from Salma Hayek, "wash your face every night, no matter how tired you are."

Salma Hayek arriving for the screening of 'The Three' presented out of competition and closing ceremony of the 63rd Cannes Film Festival in Cannes, France on May 2, 2010. Photo by Hahn-Nebinger-Orban/ABACAPRESS.COM Photo via Newscom

And, because my grandfather was a dentist, I really am going to start brushing after every meal and flossing every day.

Finally, because our ozone is vanishing, I'm going to wear serious sunscreen.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to group these three additional details into one final step:

5. Hygiene.

Step 5 sounds easy. It's the first four that are going to be tricky.

I'm going to take it easy today, and just skip the first two. That may sound crazy to anyone who has never done a cleansing fast. But, I have, and I think it's a good way to jump start a health program. Fasting helps the body to flush out toxins. And, it creates a break in the habit of eating-without-thinking.

Today's a good day for it. My sweetie leaves this morning on an out-of-state trip, so there won't be anyone else cooking or eating in the house. And, for reasons I don't fully understand, I accepted an invitation to attend a free event with a Peruvian shaman. That certainly fits in with the tradition of fasting as a spiritual practice. And finally, because it's not a good idea to exert one's self physically on a no-food day, I don't need to worry about exercising until tomorrow!

I feel happy already!

No comments:

Post a Comment